Sheila Tolbert Ministries, Inc.
Sheila Tolbert Ministries is a 501c3 non-profit organization founded by Reverend Sheila Tolbert. Our purpose is to help the less fortunate in the areas of world hunger, homelessness, domestic violence, and human trafficking. We are making a huge difference in many people’s lives and we call upon others to contribute to this cause.
The mission of Sheila Tolbert Ministries, Inc., is to focus on the spiritual transformation of men and women through sustainable programs which fund Kingdom projects in the areas of Homelessness, World Hunger, Domestic Violence, and Human Trafficking!
The vision for Sheila Tolbert Ministries, Inc., is to renovate the hearts of Believers through the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to fund Kingdom Projects.
In all our activities in Sheila Tolbert Ministries, we are guided by the following core values:
We believe that service to others is one of the many ways of doing God’s work. Because God is love, and God loves us unconditionally, we extend our love for God and our neighbors by serving others. As Lynne Namka said, “Love in action is service to the world.” Every human being is a child of God and, by serving them, we serve God. For we believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and we are His Servants. 2nd Corinthians 4:5
Operating In Excellence
We operate in excellence, seeking to serve in areas that matter to others, and we know that God can use us to open doors to bless others. By operating in excellence, we will demonstrate our love for God and our neighbors, and our faith in God. We demonstrate excellence through passion for our work, good planning, accomplishing our goals timeously, and taking ownership of the results. Our goal is to always work willingly and enthusiastically as though we are serving the Lord himself, and not just our earthly master. Colossians 3:23
We are guided by the biblical principles of integrity and ethics. We do everything in an honest, fair, and responsible way. By building our entire organization on the foundation of honesty and integrity, we have managed to build a strong, trusting relationship with our donors, employees, volunteers, beneficiaries, board members, and other stakeholders. Integrity has also created a strong, credible reputation for this ministry. Therefore, it is our desire and intention to do what is right and we are totally open both to the Lord’s inspection and to man’s. 2nd Corinthians 8:21
The above are our core values. However, we also operate through the following values:
Respect. We treat everyone with respect, knowing that the people that we help are currently down but they deserve our respect. By helping and respecting them we also restore their self-respect and the respect that they receive from others. We are in pursuit of being totally devoted to helping others in love and honoring others above ourselves. Romans 12:10
Accountability. We believe that if anything is to be done, it is up to us. We believe that we have been called by God to make a difference and impact in the lives of others in this world and within God’s Kingdom. We believe that each of us will have to give an account of ourselves to God regarding the calling upon our lives to help others. Romans14:12 Therefore, if homelessness, hunger, domestic violence and human trafficking are going to be fought, it is up to us. Last, but not least, we are accountable for delivering on our commitments.
Truth. We believe that God’s truth can set people free and we stand by this truth in good times and bad times, in thoughts, words and deeds. For the word of God clearly states “For Whom The Son Sets Free Is Free Indeed” John 8:36
The importance of our work
It’s not just the work that we do that matters, but the inner motivation behind our action really counts. While the external impact of our Kingdom Projects is incredible, the inner effect on us and the people that we serve is priceless. Here is what we have learned since we started our ministry:
1. We have learned that the giving starts from a state of heart and mind, somewhere much deeper than the physical. Moved and propelled by the possibilities this opens up all the time, we found many humble opportunities to serve. This has helped us to shift from the “me” point of view where we only pray for ourselves, to “others” point of view where we actively contribute to the welfare of others.
2. We serve to express our gratitude. We did not start this ministry because we had something to give, but the trigger came when we had nothing left to take. We acknowledged the fullness of life through faith in the goodness of God and the work God was doing in our lives. By feeling gratitude for that, we decided to pay forward our gifts with hearts filled with joy. It is this inner transformation that gave birth to the ministry.
3. We have learned that service to others transforms us, when we give, we actually receive. When we started this ministry, the small acts changed our deeply embedded habits of self-centeredness. By becoming centered on others, we have relaxed the patterns of the ego and our collection of self-oriented tendencies. Therefore, service to others is never wasted because we also benefit from it.
4. We have learned that service to others honors our deep interconnectedness. We have learned to feel what others feel when they are down. We have learned to feel their joy and relief when their dignity has been restored through our efforts. As Rachel Naomi Remen said, “When you help, you see life as weak. When you fix, you see life as broken. When you serve, you see life as whole.” That is the privileged position we can serve from to others.
5. New learning is beginning to unfold. We have now become very much aware of the current situation that others live in and that we are becoming instruments of a greater order. As a result, our actions are becoming more effortless. We are also noticing that our actions are creating a ripple effect that will synergize with other ripple effects, to create an ecosystem that will be felt by many future generations.
My personal story
You may be wondering why I chose to start Sheila Tolbert Ministries, Inc. Well, as a domestic violence survivor, I clearly understand the plight of women in similar situations, their feelings of hopelessness and their stolen dignity, I developed the desire and passion to help other women who may be facing abuse, hopelessness, oppression, and depression. In addition, I have a deep desire to not only help women who have faced a similar situation, but all women who have faced rejection, abandonment, or simply desire to reach their destiny and purpose in which God has orchestrated for their lives.
I have had the pleasure of working with teenage girls for 18 years and this service instilled in me a deep passion to help women to reach their level of greatness in which God has planned for their lives. My goal is to help women to become the best women they can be within God’s Kingdom and to help them to increase their identity in Jesus Christ which in turn will launch them into their marvelous future and allow them to regain their dignity.
Lastly, God placed within me a desire to change the world through donations to charitable organizations which help abused women, provide shelter and food to the homeless and rescue women from human trafficking. I truly believe that Sheila Tolbert Ministries, Inc. is establishing a great legacy through the empowering of men and women through the word of God along with funding charitable organizations.
That is how fighting homelessness, domestic abuse, world hunger and human trafficking became the pillars of Kingdom Projects in Sheila Tolbert Ministries, Inc. Join Us Today In This Kingdom Project!!